2235 Renaissance Drive, Suite E, Las Vegas, NV 89119

Call (702) 908-7244 today!


Nevada Teen Driving Rules

Instruction Permits

A Nevada instruction permit is valid for one year. You must carry the permit with you when you are driving. To obtain an instruction permit, you must:

  • Be at least 15½ years old
  • Complete a driver's license application
  • Pass a vision test
  • Pass a knowledge test about Nevada's traffic laws, highway signs, markings and safe driving practices
  • Have a parent or guardian available to authorize issuance
  • If you are under the age of 18, you must hold an instruction permit for at least 6 months prior to applying for a driver's license.

The following restrictions apply:

Class C Instruction Permit (Passenger Car/Pickup Truck)

When you are driving, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who:

  • Is 21 years of age or older;
  • Has at least one year of licensed driving experience; and
  • Is seated beside you.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 years old when they receive their driver's license will not be allowed to carry passengers under the age of 18 (except for immediate family members) for the first 6 months they drive (NRS 483.2523).

Additionally, a minor shall not operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless he/she is driving to or from a scheduled event. This curfew remains in effect until the driver turns 18, regardless of when the driver's license was issued.

If you are under 18 years of age and applying for a Nevada driver's license, driver authorization card or instruction permit, a parent or guardian must co-sign your application. You will need to sign an affidavit stating that you understand the following:

Your license may be:

  • Suspended for 90 days if a blood, breath or urine test indicates at least 0.02% but less than 0.08% by weight of alcohol in your blood
  • Revoked for 90 days for any court finding of driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance
  • Suspended or issuance delayed for up to two years for:
    • Placing graffiti on or defacing public or private property
    • Any criminal activity involving alcohol or a controlled substance
    • Using, possessing, selling or distributing a controlled substance
    • Purchasing, consuming or possessing an alcoholic beverage
  • Suspended or issuance delayed for up to one year for handling or possessing a firearm or having a firearm under your control in violation of NRS 202.300. For a second offense, your license will be suspended or issuance delayed for two years.
  • Suspended for 30 days to 6 months or issuance delayed for 30 days if found to be in need of supervision because of habitual truancy. For a second offense, your license will be suspended for 60 days to 1 year or issuance of your license will be delayed for 60 days.
  • Suspended for a period of not less than 6 months but not more than 2 years if found guilty of participating in or organizing an unauthorized speed contest on a public highway.

When you apply for a driver's license or driver authorization card, you will be required to present a Certificate of Completion of a course in driver's education and a Beginning Driver Experience Log, DMV Form DLD-130. The dates and times of your behind-the-wheel experiences should be noted in this log as they occur. This log must be completed in blue or black ink before arriving for your drive test. You may obtain the log on the DMV website at www.dmvnv.com.

Nevada teens are required to complete 50 hours of supervised experience behind the wheel, 10 of which must be completed at night. You must document this on the official DMV form. Please refer to Chapter 4 of this handbook for information about driving at night.

There are three options for meeting your driver's education requirements:

  1. Take driver's education at any locally offered and DMV-approved school
  2. Take driver's education online with a DMV-approved school
  3. If you are not within 30 miles of a DMV-approved school and it is not possible for you to access the internet for a driver's education class, you need to complete 100 hours of behind-the-wheel driving experience, 10 hours of which must be completed in the dark. If you are applying for a motorcycle license, all 100 hours of driving experience must be completed during daylight hours only. Please refer to Chapter 4 of this handbook for information about night driving.

Minors must also remain free of any at-fault accidents, moving violation convictions and any type of alcohol or drug conviction for six months prior to receiving a driver's license.



Teen Drivers Education Drivers Ed BTW Sessions